Sports rights company is looking for a sole lawyer to join as Legal Director & Company Secretary. Reporting to the CEO, you will manage the legal and business affairs and provide guidance to the Board to ensure the smooth running on the company.
You will be responsible for the management of the legal function for the group of companies and provide guidance to the board on day-to-day legal issues. The main focus of your role will be media rights, with the key client and customer segments being domestic and international broadcasters and gambling companies, both UK and international.
- Providing legal advice to the Chief Executive, the management team of the Company, and the Board of all Group companies
- Managing all aspects of legal matters on behalf of the Company, including engaging and supervising outside legal advisors and managing the legal budget
- Advising on, drafting and negotiating media rights agreements, and all related production and commercial contracts with domestic and international broadcasters and production companies for all media, including new media
- Advising on joint ventures, drafting and negotiating joint venture, shareholder and all related agreements
- Drafting and/or supervising the drafting of all contracts or binding agreements entered into by the Company with suppliers, customers and third parties
- Company secretarial duties including attending board meetings, working on the agenda and packs, taking minutes, managing and keeping up to date all aspects of the Company's corporate documentation
- Ensuring that the Company's Intellectual Property is adequately defined including the enforcement of contractual rights
- Managing all litigation with which any of the group companies are involved
- Advising board on corporate governance
- The salary on offer is aligned with candidates c.6-10 years' PQE
- You must have a strong background in IP rights and exploitation of those rights to third parties, ideally gained from working in-house in a licensing, rights or gaming/gambling company
- A background in company secretarial is not essential but you must be willing to carry out all the duties required (although the admin aspects of this will be handled by external lawyers)
- Strong private practice background with excellent drafting skills
- The ability to prioritise and genuinely roll up your sleeves and deal with anything and everything that arises.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work closely with the C-suite of this business and contribute to the company's strategy and future direction. You will have autonomy and independence but with the support of a strong management team behind you.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.