Knowledge Development Lawyer - Construction
This role represents an exciting opportunity for the right person to make their mark in a strong and growing area for the firm. There are opportunities for the right candidate to use their strong technical legal knowledge to leverage the work of the group and to use technology to improve collaboration with our clients and to bring efficiency to processes. The successful candidate will have the ability to build on their key strengths to encourage knowledge sharing across the group and to embrace the challenges of working in a fast-moving commercial environment. This role supports primarily the non-contentious Construction group but with ad-hoc support for contentious matters
within our Disputes practice.
Role and Responsibilities (this is a broad but not exhaustive list)
The Construction KDL works collaboratively with the Knowledge Partner to establish current priorities. The role typically includes the following:
* Leading, motivating and facilitating knowledge-sharing within the practice group, taking responsibility for developing a collaborative, knowledge-sharing culture among all lawyers.
This will include: facilitating and leading know-how meetings to ensure that new developments, legal and practical knowledge and experience is shared; and collecting know-how from lawyers, reviewing this and making it available via the Knowledge system, InSite, or by other appropriate methods.
* Developing and maintaining precedents, automated documents, practice notes, checklists, toolkits, clause banks and other forms of know-how.
* Working collaboratively with the Research & Information Services team and the Knowledge Partner to identify the external knowledge resources (legal and business-based) required by the group.
* Developing efficient, practical and meaningful current awareness for the group (supplemental to external alerts).
* Working collaboratively with the Knowledge Partner to develop, and where appropriate, deliver training within a structured training programme and to manage the group's training budget.
* Assisting fee-earners with technical queries, encouraging in all lawyers a confident use of existing knowledge resources.
* Working collaboratively with the Knowledge Partner, the Business Development team and others, identify opportunities to enhance the reputation of the group and individuals within group as thought leaders and to deepen relationships with existing clients (LinkedIn posts, Passle posts, journal articles, client value adds).
* Working collaboratively with the Knowledge Partner and other key stakeholders, identify opportunities to use new technology or processes to improve our service delivery.
* Working with the Head of Knowledge and other members of the Knowledge team on firm wide Knowledge projects and tasks.
* Such other Knowledge-related activities that the Head of Knowledge or the practice group requires.
* An experienced solicitor with at least 6 years' PQE in the Construction sector
* Experience as a PDL/KDL an advantage
* Familiarity with legal and innovation technology including Contract Express, DocuSign, HighQ, JCT Contract Express
* Proven organisational ability within a commercial and pressurised environment
* Excellent communication skills
* A highly collaborative worker with the ability to persuade and influence
* Capable and pro-active with a growth mindset and the ability to view challenges as opportunities
* Ability to inspire confidence at all levels
* Ability to cascade knowledge
* Displays, and encourages in others, pro-activity and a solutions-focused approach
* Commercial awareness, financial acumen and a business-like approach to legal practice
* Desire and ability to be involved in using technology to improve processes and bring efficiency
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.