We have a current opportunity for a Legal Counsel (PE Funds) on a permanent basis. The position will be based in Hong Kong. For further information about this position please apply.
Our Legal Services Department provides legal support to all business units of the a quasi government organization and associated companies. The organization's diverse business operations require the legal team to help the business units deal with complex matters by identifying risks and complications, guiding the business units around those obstacles whilst preserving the organization's reputation and integrity.
- Provide legal advice and support to the Investment Office relating to potential investments into private investment funds (including private equity, credit, venture capital and hedge funds), which includes conducting legal due diligence on potential investment opportunities, reviewing investment management agreements, negotiating side letters and managing external legal counsel who advise on such investments.
- Provide legal advice and support to the Investment Office and Finance Department on legal issues and negotiating corporate commercial contracts (e.g. administration agreements, brokerage agreements, account opening documentation, other service provider agreements).
- Provide legal advice and support to the Customer and International Business Development department, in particular the Commingling Division on the drafting, reviewing and negotiation of commingling agreements and simulcast agreements.
- Provide legal support to other Business Units of the organization including without limitation the Finance Department and Insurance Department. This includes providing legal advice, drafting corporate/ commercial contracts, tender documents and other legal documents, and generally providing commercially-focused legal advice.
- Partner with the Business Units to develop structured solutions to commercial activities and business operation issues.
- Deliver timely and high quality legal advice to the Business Units in a practical and commercially focused way in relation to all relevant matters that reduce risk, resolve issues and maximise the opportunity for the business to deliver on its goals.
- Coordinate and liaise with internal and external parties particularly outside counsel on expertise advice.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in rules and regulations affecting the business and operations of the organization and advising Business Units of their legal and regulatory obligations.
- Be a qualified solicitor in Hong Kong or any major common law jurisdiction with at least 6 years' post qualification experience.
- Legal advisory experience in handling general corporate/ commercial agreements and legal matters gained from an international law firm or in-house position in a major corporation. In-house experience is preferred.
- Possess solid experience in handling investment fund documentation, including without limitation investment management agreements, private placement memoranda, limited partnership agreements, and subscription agreements.
- Possess solid technical legal skills in advising investors on investing in private investment funds (both closed-ended and open-ended) and commercial acumen.
- Able to liaise effectively with internal clients at all levels and able to balance the interests of all stakeholders.
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to multitask and work under pressure and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with excellent command of English.
Terms of Employment
The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.