About the job
As a commercial contracts and construction legal counsel you will deliver a full range of expert legal advice to the business and key internal stakeholders in order to optimise contractual outcomes in relation to a variety of subjects (including supply chain, utilities, local authorities, etc) and support on compliance with legislation and regulations with respect to our client's program of work, with minimal supervision.
About The Role
- Assisting with the provision of high quality legal support including drafting documents and providing advice to staff at all levels on all aspects of commercial/contracts law (including in relation to the procurement and negotiation of high value, complex construction, funding agreements and other contracts, corporate law, intellectual property, and finance and technology issues), to ensure that the Company is not exposed to undue risk and that consistent business standards are adhered to;
- Assisting with provision of statutory advice as required;
- Assisting with advice on resolution of contractual claims and disputes (including supporting, but not directly conducting, litigation or arbitration using external lawyers where appropriate);
- When required, manage the provision of external legal support including responsibility for managing and monitoring cost, assisting with the setting of budget and timescales and managing quality;
- Contributing to the preparation and drafting of reports and briefings for senior management to support the decision-making process including liaising with senior lawyers and policy advisers across relevant government departments;
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Ability to produce and present complex documents and reports to a variety of audiences, including internal stakeholders at various levels in the organisation;
- Ability to prepare complex legal drafting without supervision;
- Ability to influence stakeholders at all levels of the organisation and externally, and to build effective working relationships;
- Problem-solving skills, including working without established precedent or procedure;
- Ability to balance and prioritise numerous tasks, while maintaining attention to detail, and to deliver to agreed deadlines;
- Advanced planning and organisational skills
- Flexible approach with experience of working within a multidisciplinary team on a wide range of commercial legal issues;
- Qualified solicitor or Barrister with contracting or construction experience, gained in a "client" and/or a "contractor" environment;
- Has specialised in contract law and/or procurement law, preferably with a focus on Major Projects;
- Experience of managing the provision of external legal advice within defined budgets/scopes;
- Experience of public sector procurement processes;
- Problem solving experience;
- Recent and relevant commercial legal experience of UK based construction or infrastructure projects, or experience of dealing with Government Departments, utilities or transport projects, gained either in house or in private practice;
- Experience of serving as the main point of contact to clients
The position will be based in Birmingham. For further information about this position please apply.
The SR Group (UK) Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.