I have partnered with a global retailer in their search for a Senior Commercial Lawyer to join their Legal function for a 9-12 month maternity cover contract. The role will be based in London and working on commercial legal matters across multiple jurisdictions.
Job Purpose and Scope
- Providing all areas of the Business with commercial legal advice covering general contractual issues and legal advice on matters which affect the Business on a daily basis
- Working collaboratively with the rest of the Commercial Legal team on strategic projects for the business. Supporting the Head of Commercial Legal
- Supporting the Deputy General Counsels
- Supporting key business units such as Food, Clothing, Home, Marketing, Logistics, IT, the company website and Digital, International and UK Franchise
- Managing the allocation of legal and other advice between in-house resources and external providers (including our managed service provider) and associated spend
- Support the business and Commercial Legal team with strategic projects
- Be the lead Legal Business Partner to the Company's Food team
- Prepare and negotiate commercial contracts on behalf of the business
- Advise on the legal implications and constraints of existing contracts
- Ability to provide commercial, user appropriate and concise advice
- Advise at a high level on regulatory risks relevant to the company's supplier relationships and contracts (e.g. Data Protection, Competition law and the Grocery Supply Code of Practice)
- Work in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of work and act with pace
- Make judgements on the viability of litigation and advising on the legal and policy implications of reaching commercial settlements
- Research and interpret existing legislation and case law in relevant areas
- Draft/prepare documents (including the creation of relevant precedents)
- Prepare and deliver training and presentations to enable commercial business partners to make informed decisions
- Assist with the management of law firms (UK and International) and non-legal service providers such as technology providers and outsourced legal support
- Challenge current processes and practices to safeguard and enhance the Business' reputation
- Work in partnership with Business areas to build a relationship of trust and confidence, to understand business and customer needs and act as a true business partner
- Support on department wide and commercial team initiatives, such as the legal document management system, process and document automation, learning and development, know-how/contract templates, corporate social responsibility initiatives and social events etc.
- Making decisions on contract negotiation escalation points from external law firms
- Advising on corporate governance and delegation of authority
If you are interested in this opportunity and your experience aligns with the above, please apply now.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.