This is a fantastic opportunity to join a major energy company, working in their legal team focusing on offshore and onshore corporate transactions, out of their Edinburgh office. You will ideally have around 3-10 PQE of corporate experience, specifically M&A and Joint Ventures, preferably within the energy space, though this is not a prerequisite.
This team operates a partnering model in the delivery of renewables projects so embed themselves within project teams to be able to deliver a pro-active and commercially relevant legal service to the group.
You will have the following accountabilities:
- Support corporate acquisitions, joint ventures, disposals and reorganisations.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on a range of commercial contracts (including solar installation, turbine supply, civil works and electrical construction contracts), joint‐venture and shareholder documentation.
- Advise on the regulatory regime governing renewable energy in the United Kingdom. Monitor relevant energy consultations, reviews or developments, advising upon the impact of proposals and assisting in the drafting of responses.
- Contribute to the maintenance of key corporate and legal documentation, including precedent legal documents, data base and physical signed contracts and Group policies and procedures.
- Manage the engagement of external legal and related services, defining the scope of work and negotiating fees whilst maintaining and building on existing working relationships, manage budget and timely delivery, interface between law firms and commercial teams of the group.
- Be generally responsible for managing a variety of complex legal services and tasks, which in addition to documentation may include a variety of IP, insurance, contract management, corporate compliance and any others as required.
- Act efficiently and effectively during corporate crises in keeping the executive team informed and prepared for major events.
- Liaise with in‐house counsel in other Group offices and entities as necessary.
- An active advocate of good corporate governance.
- In supporting the risk management and oversight needs of The Group you will:
- Ensure that through proactive participation and ownership of policy development and compliance/risk management strategies, the right processes are in place to facilitate informed decisions.
- Ensure compliance with legal obligations, preserving the same through adequate documentation and a comprehensive reporting structure.
- Immediate reporting of any material non‐compliance.
- Anticipate legal/business impacts whilst providing commercially appropriate solutions to complex business issues and supporting other counsel on a day to day basis as required.
To be successful within your expression of interest, you will be able to demonstrate the following key skills and/or knowledge:
- Maintain a clear head and efficient manner throughout periods of increased pressure.
- Analyse legal issues and provide comprehensive and practical legal advice to all levels of management throughout the company, becoming a valued partner.
- Possess significant post qualification experience in transactional work (in the energy sector preferred) and exposure to project development and construction, operation and maintenance, and other related energy work would be very beneficial.
- Possess substantial knowledge and experience in dealing with the laws and regulations of UK jurisdictions, particularly with regard to the energy industry and renewable project development.
- Preferably have had some experience of real estate and planning matters as part of transactional activity.
- Be detail oriented and meticulous with efficient communication skills (both written and verbal) supported by strong legal research and drafting skills.
- Have an exemplary reputation for ethics and integrity, solid judgment and business acumen.
- Be accustomed to a fast paced working environment, acting with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines spanning multiple and complex legal projects.
Please note our advertisements use PQE/salary levels purely as a guide. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.